Wednesday 9 December 2015

Donald Trump Has 'No Regrets' Over Muslim Remarks – As British Politicians Call for Him to be Banned from the UK

Donald Trump says he has "no regrets" over his controversial proposal to ban all Muslims from the U.S. In his first on-camera interview since his shocking press release, the Republican front-runner tells Barbara Walters he is "the worst thing that ever happened to ISIS." Trump, 69, called for "a total and complete shutdown of Muslims" coming to the U.S. on Monday, a plan that he continues to stand by despite a major backlash from politicians around the world – including some British politicians who have now called for Trump to be banned from entering the United Kingdom. "[The people in my party] are running against me. For the most part, they have no poll numbers. I'm leading by a lot. They get it," the billionaire businessman claims. "They're trying to get publicity for themselves. You know when I came out against illegal immigration, everybody said the same thing. Two weeks later, everybody was on my side, including the members of my own party." 

Asked if he had any "regrets" about his comments, Trump replied "not at all" and even called it "the right thing" to do insisting, "somebody in this country has to say what's right." Adding, "I have people that I have tremendous relationships with, they're Muslim, and Barbara, they agree with me 100 percent." And when asked if he is "a bigot," Trump insisted he's not explaining: "Not at all, probably the least you've ever met. I'm a person who has common sense. I'm a smart person. I know how to run things. I know how to make America great again. This is about making America great." Buzzfeed reports that some British politicians – including Tory MP Sarah Wollaston – have urged the prime minister and home secretary to ban Trump from entering the UK. Prime minister David Cameron's spokesperson has refused to confirm if Trump would be banned from the UK but did tell The Independent: "The Prime Minister completely disagrees with the comments made by Donald Trump, which are divisive, unhelpful and quite simply wrong." On Tuesday night, Trump took to his Twitter to reflect, writing: "Wow, what a day. So many foolish people that refuse to acknowledge the tremendous danger and uncertainty of certain people coming into U.S." 




No comments:

Post a Comment